Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Heartache Unfolding

I've been thinking alot about what happened at Virginia Tech yesterday. The tragic killing of 32 students plus Cho Seung Hui, the shooter, who killed himself -- has left many people devastated. I mean it is just so, so sad.
While we keep hoping that the news will get better, I am keep thinking I just wish Hui had gotten help and all of these people wouldn't have had to die.

I mean even if you didn't know these people, you know someone like them. Even if you didn't know the victims...you do. You've had classmates who had a passion for learning or life. Classmates who put themselves through school. Classmates who you admired for one reason or another. You had friends who went to Tech. Maybe your mom or dad went there, like me. Maybe you even visited it as a prospective college but didn't go there for one reason or another. These bright kids from Virginia were just like us. That is what brings it home.

So, reach out if you see someone in trouble. Maybe if Hui had had the support of friends this could have ended differently. It breaks my heart to see a blog like this and then read the list of confirmed dead from The Collegiate Times (Tech's student paper) and realize that heartache is unfolding as we speak. And there is nothing we can do to stop it.

All we can do is work to make sure that something like this never ever happens again.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I think we all are forever touched by this tragedy. It warms me, though, to see all the colleges taking down the "enemy lines" and really showing support. This has touched the hearts of the world. I don't think we will ever understand why this happened and what good can come out of this, but can only hope that all parties involved can find solace and peace of mind. We have to remind ourselves that everything does happen for a reason and it was these people's times to leave us for whatever reason that may be.