Sunday, June 04, 2006

One Stroke at a Time

I'm feeling really good. I showed up for the Richmond Tri Club coached swim this morning at the ACAC on Southside. I was pretty nervous, since i'd only been once before and it is always a killer work out. We did 3300 meters (just over 2 miles) total -- the main set was 5 X 400.

Since we were swiming in a 50 meter pool, that was alot less flip turns, alot less rest.
I just wish I hadn't whined so much when he announced our main set. I was visibly freaked when he told us we were to do them on the 8 and if we did we'd earn 60 seconds rest before the next one. The first one came in at 8:29, which was fine with me. I got to rest for 31 seconds and then kick out another 400 meters. Only problem was we kept getting a few seconds slower and by the time we were on no. 4, we had like 5 seconds rest before we started the last one.
But, I did it. And, it felt good. Yes, it was hard, but it will be easier next time.
And, maybe next time I'll have the courage to go on the 30 mile bike ride that follows.
One step at a time. One stroke at a time. I'm starting to get the hang of this. The more I do, the more I want to do. Maybe that is how we ended up with an Ironman.

No comments: