Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Light Run

Last night, I really missed my family. It was super cold and so windy that I was lucky I didn't get blown away on my way to my car after work. I had been planning on doing the Christmas Light Run with the TRIgirls, but it just felt so wrong to work all day Sunday and then to not even come home to see my family, but to go to a workout instead. I know I sound like I'm whining, but when you have a 3-year-old screaming, "Please Mama don't go to work!" it makes it hard. Redfish always confuses where I go when I leave him anyway. If I'm dressed in spandex he says "Don't go to work!" If I'm dressed in slacks and a blouse, he says, "Don't go workout!" I'm sure he's wondering why I'm always laughing at him.
Anyway, Mr. Preschool called me at work to see if I'd finally made up my mind. After hearing my predicament, super cool Mr. Preschool offered to meet us at Starbucks for the 40 minutes I had between work and the Christmas Light Run. I was slightly worried that leaving the kids again would be more heartbreak then the joy of getting to see them for few minutes but Mr. Preschool had prepared them and made them promise not to cry when I left.
I'd been wanting to go on this run since last year, when I kept hearing how fun it was. Actually, I think the main thing that folks talked about after the run last year was the Glogg that TRIgirl 40 brought. Based on its rave reviews, I figured it would make the run worth it and I was right. Between the great company on the run (Annnnn, T, Margo, Cathy) and the Glogg, I was soooo happy I went, even if we did cut the route a bit short so we didn't actually have to run through Oregon Hill. Or more importantly miss the Glogg because we were so slow.
So, in case you want to try it at home, here are the ingredients for the Glogg. It is sort of like a mulled wine with a kick.
It is red wine (Pinot Grigio)
Brandy
Vodka
Ground ginger
Cinnamon
Sugar
Whole Almonds
Raisins and well, maybe something else...heated on the stove until it is warm and some of the alcohol has dissipated. I'll update with the real recipe when I get it. And, you can be sure that I will be at the Xmas Light Run next year, even if I have to bring my own Glogg! The kids were fast asleep when I got home and I don't think they missed me as much as I thought they would. Tonight, I'll be gone to another workout when they go to bed -- but tomorrow, I get to stay home!

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Loved this year's Christmas run - and loved sharing some glogg with you all. Full recipe to be posted soon - but you've got the jist!

BTW - You hardly mentioned all the hours you and G spent delivering donations on Sunday - you guys are the the real meaning of Christmas.