Friday, February 02, 2007

Tag -- I'm It

TRIgirl teammate TRIgirl 40, and Ironmom are playing a little Tri Blogger Tag and tagged me with 6 questions about me and triathlons. Hmm..how interesting can I make this?
And in the meantime....I'm going to tag some of my favorite bloggers. Let's just see how small this Triblogging universe is.

Bolder
Flatman
Iron Wil
Tri Greyhound
Nytro
and Roman

If you've been tagged, answer these six questions, then tag six more folks.

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever
2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon
3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?
5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?
6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

1. Describe a memory from your first triathlon ever

My first triathlon ever was the 3Sports Triathlon in July of 2002. I wasn't even sure I could finish. I remember being shocked that they were going to write in magic marker on my B-O-D-Y. A badge I tried to flaunt in the tank tops and shorts I wore that day and the next, because I was proud that I did finish.


2. Describe a memory from your most recent triathlon

I'll never forget the amazing feeling I had riding my bike to Sandman on the boardwalk in the dark. I'd never biked to a race before. Somehow it felt more empowering to leave my giant transition bag (otherwise known as my car) at home. It was so freeing to know that I had all I needed to do this race riding on my back. What started out as riding at dark, quickly turned into a twilight-like sunrise. There is nothing like a sunrise at the beach on the East Coast. I loved the contrast of the quietness of a city still asleep and the waves rushing against the shore. The calm before the storm.

3. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you in a tri?
We'll how about in training....do you really need to know this? I went to the ACAC Richmond Tri Club Monthly Coached swim and If you've ever been to these training sessions, then you know they are tough. We usually swim 3000 to 3500 meters. ...But sometimes it is not the distance but the intensity that kicks your butt. I had to leave a few minutes early in order to make it to work by 9 a.m. I think I swam even faster than normal because I was late. Anyway, my arms were so tired...you know the feeling JELLO. And we were at the deep end of the pool where it is like 12 feet deep. I tried to hop out of the pool and my arms we so tired and jello-ey...(is that a word?) that they collapsed and I fell back into the pool. Coach P was watching, trying not to laugh at just how bad he'd kicked my ass.

4. What's the most thrilling thing that's happened to you in a tri?

I was racing the inaugural IronGirl event at the site of the internationally know Columbia Triathlon. I was particularly concerned about the hills and making sure I was trained for them. I was doing fairly well and coming down a giant hill, only to go back up the final monster hill when I switched gears from big chain ring to little chain ring and my chain fell off. I was actually totally freaked out. So much so that I didn't refuse when 2 little girls -- who were maybe 8 years old -- offered put my chain back on for me. Actually, they standing there waiting for it to happen...and they were helping many folks, waiting as a sort of pre-pubescent pit crew. It took them about 2 minutes, but I was so moved by them and in complete awe. Those 2 girls , Emma and Greer, really did bring new meaning to the word IRONGIRL for me.

5. What is something you discovered about yourself by doing triathlons?

I've discovered that triathlons make me a better person in every way.

6. What is The Big Goal that you're working towards?

Eagleman 2007 is the immediate goal. We'll see after that.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Sounds like we share the experience with the surprise of body marking! Love the jello arm story!