Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Unempty Pancakes

I was checking in on Ironmom, a blog a used to read alot, but recently I just haven't had as much time to check blogs. I guess the Near West End News, my other blog, has been taking up most of my computer time. Anyway, Robin has a great post on kids eating healthy, and I just love her pancake recipe (although I can see myself adapting it to use soymilk since that is what we usually have in the house).
She has a really good point about what we teach our kids to eat. My daughter can't stand lemonaid, Kool Aide, snow cones, icey pops and the like. She thinks they just taste wrong. My son, who sampled lemonaid at a young age is much less choosey, and will drink anything, well, maybe not soda.

Anyway, here is the recipe:
Robin's Non-Empty Pancakes
1 cup raw milk (ours is goat's)
1 cup yogurt
1 1/2 cup whole grain flour (sometimes I combine oat, spelt, wheat, coconut flour, whatever I have available)
1/4 Cup Ground Flax Meal
1/4 Cup Hemp Seeds
If I have time, mix everything above together and let it soak for 12 - 24 hours to ferment a little bit.
Then, the next morning, I mix in:
6 eggs
4 Tbs coconut oil or butter
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Tbs Raw Evaporated Cane Juice (Sucanat)
1 tsp sea salt
Sometimes I make them with bananas and pecans or blueberries or huckleberries in season. These also make great rollups with peanut butter and honey for a middle of the day snack. If I have the time, I'll mix up a double or triple batch and freeze a bunch so the kids can get pancakes any day of the week. It's both more nutritious and much more cost-effective than breakfast cereals.

No comments: