Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sandman Triathlon Race Results

I love haw Kale Running actually emails your race results to you in a summary format, and just hours after the race none-the-less. It just simply rocks!
Well, I didn't blog about this race beforehand at ALL, because not only did I stay up all night with 2 kids with the stomach flu this week, but I also had it myself on Friday night. YUK! I was so tired and wiped out I didn't know if I'd make it to the race. And, on top of that, I was already fighting an infection and on antibiotics. My nurse practitioner said not to race. Wanna hear something really funny? She said she thought I was over training. He he. She obviously doesn't know what a slacker I've been recently. She had herself convinced. Anyway, It's alot to pack up the kids, drive them 2 (or more) hours each way, and stay in a strange place. When you don't feel your best. It's even scarier to do that when you've been medically advised not to.
Plus, I just can't stand it when folks start a race and don't finish and I was worried I'd do that. And I REALLY can't stand it when someone says they are going to do a race and then don't. Well we've all done that once or twice (including myself) but I still can't stand it.
I ended up having a great race. It was a beautiful (but windy) day. Perfect weather. I had a PR by almost 4 minutes over last year. And that was significant for 2 reasons. 1. My run was 2 minutes slower and 2. The race management decided to be lazy and only put out 2 buoys. One at the start and one at the finish, instead of the 5-6 they normally have. We were told we had to go around them both. Only one problem was that I didn't know that the second buoy decided to go for a swim in the Atlantic. I kept waiting for a large swell, and then I'd ride it to the top and look for the buoy. I never found it. I was told we'd be disqualified if we didn't go around them both, so I decided to go looking for it for a while. I figure I lost about 50 yards swimming on my wild goose chase before I realized that it wasn't going to happen. I had never had waves come crashing down on me like the did today. You just couldn't really get out there past the breakers. I'd see this giant shadow, and think I was close to a boat or something and then...BAM a wave would crash over me. It was the weirdest thing.
I'm getting carried away. This wasn't supposed to be a race report, just the results, with the report later. Photos and details about my fantastic favorite finish will be posted soon.
Anyway, here are my results:
I came in 5th out of 15 Athena's in the Under 40 division. I had the second fastest Athena bike split in my division as well, thanks to my new bike.

Total time: 1:54:17
Last years time was 1:57:53.80

Swim was 1,000 meters (or more) 21:17
T1 2:20
Bike 14 miles 48:09
Bike average 17.4mph
T2 2:15
Run 40:13
12:58 pace per mile

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - great race in very tough conditions!! Congrats!

Susie

Wrenched Photography said...

The water wasn't that bad :p

Nice seeing you fly by me on the bike just before i threw up....

Jenn said...

Congrats on your PR Jonah :-)

TriGirl 40 said...

Congrats on an awesome race, a PR and an impressive bike time! Can't wait to hear about the fantasitc favorite finish and the rest of the race report.

Cyndi said...

Congrats Jonah!!! Sounds like it was a great race!! And boy do I remember that wind on the boardwalk from the year I did it (remember the year they cancelled the swim?) Ugh! I remember taking off thinking I was Supergirl and coming back thinking I was SuperSlug!!

GREAT job on your PR and congrats on an awesome race!! Way to go!!

Cyndi

carmen said...

you rock
sorry i couldnt be there this year
save the waves for 08

Sarah said...

Congrats on the PR. That swim sounds a little scary. Was it as cold as you were expecting?