Thursday, November 02, 2006

Getting Back in the Saddle

I was just reading J.'s (10-31-06) blog last night and feeling sorry for myself because he was able to transform a really crappy, painful slow run to a joyful, fast, happy run. For me it is almost always just a painful, slow run. And 12 days off after injuring my toe didn't make me feel any more hopeful. I did finally get back out there on Tuesday. It was such a beautiful fall day, but a shorts and t-shirt kinda day...and I had planned on running in the early morning, but I conveniently forgot to set the alarm. (Starting once you stop, even with a reason, starting is SO hard).
I convinced Redfish that he wanted to go for a ride in the stroller (no small feat) , when he changed his mind and decided we needed to go to the park instead.
Compromise: run to the park (2 miles) run back (2 miles). I like this. My toe didn't even hurt while I was running, only when I stopped.
He was happy (mostly) I was happy (mostly). But I did have to give up my ipod to him for the run home. I've decided this can be a new ritual.
Too bad I was still feeling it this morning when I tried to go out for run number two (3 miles). It was light out, thanks to a recent daylight saving grace. But it was also cold, incredibly windy, and raining.
I was ever so greatful that when I started to run, I looked up and snowing upon me were thousands of the most beautiful fall leaves you can imagine. I couldn't figure where they all could have come from, because when I looked up, I saw the dawning of the morning sky, not trees at all. It was one of the most joyful feelings to run in a snow of never ending leaves raining down from the sky.
The running part sucked though. My toe started hurting this morning as soon as I put on my shoe. Later my ankle sort of cramped up. Since the regular season is over, the only chiquitas who showed up were marathoners or half-marathoners. Need I say it sucks to get passed on a one mile track when you are only running 3 miles. And then they switched directions and passed me again! They were as gracious about it as they could be.
And I continued to amuse myself with natures follies. Running faster when the headwinds came on strong. And loving it when the rain blew directly into my wide open, panting mouth. And standing in amazement as I ran into one of Mr. Preschool's paintings of birds attached to the wind.

No comments: