Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Countdown

Five days until IronGirl. I'm trying to make doing my best at the race my sole focus, but at the same time I'm sure it will be a sleepless night, the night before. It will be the first night I've spent apart from Redfish ever and the first night I've spent apart from Daisyhead Maisy in over 3 years. Not to mention my husband, otherwise known as the wizzard of sleep. I've been waking up at 5 a.m. each day regardless of whether I have a workout, so getting up at 3:45 on raceday, hopefully won't be a shock. I'll have a 55 minute drive and need to get to IronGirl at 5 a.m.

I've really enjoyed my training. I feel like i'm as ready as I'll ever be. Saturday we rode 20 at Westcreek and ran 2. Sunday I did the ACAC/Richmond Tri Winterpock hill to build back my confidence after that tough Naylor's ride. The Winterpock hill is about a 300 foot climb over maybe 2 miles. The IronGirl climb from what I can tell will be tougher. 500 feet up, broken into a 200 foot climb and then a 300 foot climb. Maybe I should have done it twice, back to back.

I'm not sure if this is common, but I keep wavering between wanting to just finish the race and feeling like there is some small hope that I'll place in Athena. This is the first race I've done with an Athena catagory, so I'm not really sure what the competition will be.
After looking at IronWil's body stats, and realizing that this superfit and major muscle chic could qualify for Athena (despite the fact that she is 5' 5 1/2) if she just ate a box of doughnuts, (she is 2 pounds to light to make the 150 lb Athena category) I'm not so sure.

Regardless, my goal is to take it one event at a time. To feel strong and confident and enjoy the race.

Mr. Preschool let me change his flat yesterday, as a refresher, so I should be ready for any flat I might get. With 1600 women racing, and Vigo as the race director, it is sure to be an inspiring, fun event regardless of my results.

No comments: